Chopping canned tomatoes can be a messy job, but not when you do it this way: Just use kitchen shears to cut them right in the can!
Photography: Johnny Miller
Everyday Food, March 2013
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 40 minutes
- Serves 4
- 4 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken breast halves (about 2 3/4 pounds)
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- Cooked rice, for serving
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat oil over medium-high. In batches, if necessary, cook chicken skin side down until browned, about 7 minutes. Transfer to plate.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add onion and saute until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes, scraping up any browned bits from pot. Add 2 tablespoons water.
- Add garlic, cumin, and chipotle; cook until garlic is soft and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, season, and bring to a simmer; cook 5 minutes, breaking tomatoes down with a wooden spoon. Return chicken and any accumulated juices to pot; bring to a simmer, cover, and cook until chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes. Serve over rice.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.