Photography: Anson Smart
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour
- Serves 4
- 3 pints cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup coarse bulgur
- 1 medium red onion, cut crosswise into thin slices
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 bunches parsley, roughly chopped (1 1/2 to 2 cups)
- Lemon juice, plus wedges for serving
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees with racks in middle and lower thirds. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss tomatoes with 5 teaspoons olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and roast on bottom rack of oven until soft and skins have blistered and burst, about 30 minutes. On a separate, small baking sheet, spread bulgur in an even layer and toast on top rack of oven until fragrant and deep golden, stirring halfway through, 15 minutes. Transfer bulgur to a large bowl.
- Add onion to the tomatoes, stir to combine, and season with salt and pepper. Roast until onion is soft and golden, flipping halfway through, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook bulgur according to package instructions. Transfer to the large bowl, season with salt and pepper, stir in chickpeas; let cool if still warm. Stir in parsley, tomatoes, onions, 1 tablespoon olive oil, and lemon juice to taste and transfer to serving platter. Serve warm or at room temperature with lemon wedges.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.