Russian Potatoes in Buttermilk
Photography: Jonathan Lovekin
Martha Stewart Living, May 2013
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Total Time 30 minutes
- Serves 4
- 1 pound small red- or purple-skinned potatoes (about 20)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 1/3 cups cold well-shaken buttermilk
- Flaky sea salt, such as Maldon, and freshly ground pepper
- Fresh dill, for garnish
- Place potatoes in a steamer. Fill a large pot with 1 to 2 inches water and place steamer in pot. Bring water to a simmer, cover, and steam potatoes until tender and easily pierced with a knife, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and coarse salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened and golden, about 20 minutes.
- Divide potatoes and onions evenly among 4 bowls. Pour 1/3 cup buttermilk over each serving, season with flaky salt and pepper, and garnish with dill.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.