Easy French Macarons
These French sandwich cookies seem like quite the task, but with a few simple tricks, you'll be an expert in no time.
- Prep Time 1 hour
- Total Time 1 hour 35 minutes, plus drying
Yield Makes 28
- 1 1/4 cups almond meal
- 1 3/4 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Strained jam or other desired fillings
- Whisk together almond meal and confectioner's sugar and sift over a large bowl.
- Beat egg whites until frothy, 1 to 2 minutes. Slowly add granulated sugar and almond extract, beat until medium shiny peaks, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Fold egg whites into almond mixture until combined. Mix vigorously with spatula until the mixture sinks easily into a smooth mass and has the consistency of honey. Transfer mixture to a pastry bag, cut off 1/2 inch off tip. Pipe 1-inch rounds about 1 inch apart on parchment-lined sheets.
- Let dry 30 minutes to an hour and a half until tops are firm and dry. Preheat oven to 350. Bake one sheet at a time for about 14 minutes, rotating once. Let cool completely on wire racks before filling and sandwiching cookies together.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.