Easy One-Bowl Chocolate Cupcakes
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder, plus more for pans
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk, room temperature
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard muffin cups with paper liner. In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add buttermilk, vegetable oil, and 1 1/2 cups warm water; whisk to combine. Add eggs and vanilla extract and whisk until smooth.
- Divide batter among muffin cups (filling each about 2/3 full) and bake until a toothpick inserted in center of cupcake comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool in pans on wire racks, 5 minutes, then transfer cupcakes to racks and let cool completely. Frost as desired.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.