Pea and Parsley Soup with Golden Caviar
A soup course may be old-school, but it never fails to delight, putting any special-occasion meal right over the top. The smooth, sophisticated pea and parsley soup is an homage to the season. It gets body from creme fraiche and a salty snap from orbs of golden caviar.
Photography: Jonathan Lovekin
Martha Stewart Living, April 2013
- Prep Time 45 minutes
- Total Time 45 minutes
- Serves 10
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cups coarsely chopped onion (from 1 large)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 6 cups shelled fresh English peas
- 4 cups packed flat-leaf parsley leaves (from 2 bunches)
- 1/4 cup creme fraiche, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
- Golden caviar, for garnish
- Pea shoots (optional), for garnish
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and 2 teaspoons salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth and water and bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in peas and return to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in parsley and creme fraiche. Puree soup in a blender, working in batches, until very smooth. Transfer to a clean pot and stir in lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper and keep warm until ready to serve. Divide soup among bowls and garnish with creme fraiche, caviar, and pea shoots.
Soup can be cooled completely and refrigerated up to 1 day; gently rewarm over medium-low heat.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.