- 4 large eggs
- 4 thick slices nutty whole-wheat bread, toasted
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- <u>Green Mayonnaise</u>
- 1/2 bunch arugula, trimmed and large leaves torn
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Sweet or smoked paprika (optional), for sprinkling
- Place eggs in a small saucepan and cover with 2 inches of water. Bring to a boil and cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat and rinse under cold water. Peel eggs.
- Brush each slice of bread with oil and spread with mayonnaise to taste. Top with arugula. Slice each egg in half and divide among tartines. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with paprika.
Alternatives: Substitute any succulent, assertive green -- watercress or purslane, for instance -- for the arugula.