Nobu's Eggplant with Miso
A savory-sweet miso sauce (which you'll also find on Nobu's black cod) is spread on fried halved Japanese eggplants, then broiled to golden perfection.
Photography: Ray Hom
Martha Stewart Living, March 2000
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 20 minutes
- Serves 8
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for frying
- 4 Japanese eggplants (about 6 ounces each), halved lengthwise and skin scored in a crosshatch pattern
- 1 cup Nobu's Den Miso
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- Pickled ginger and plums, for garnish (optional)
- Heat oven to broil. Line a baking sheet with paper towels; set aside. In a large heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat 2 inches of oil to 360 degrees. Working in batches, place eggplants in pan, skin side up, and fry 1 minute. Turn and fry 30 seconds more. Transfer eggplants to baking sheet and let drain.
- Transfer eggplants, skin side down, to an unlined baking sheet. Spread each half with slightly more than 1 tablespoon miso. Broil until miso begins to darken and caramelize, about 30 seconds to a few minutes, depending on the strength of your broiler. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and garnish with pickled ginger and plums.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.