- 2 packed tablespoons grated lime zest, plus 1/4 cup juice (from 2 limes)
- 2 tablespoons finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons packed light-brown sugar
- Fine salt
- 1 can (13.5 ounces) coconut milk
- 1 whole chicken (3 1/2 to 4 pounds), cut into 10 pieces
- Cooked jasmine rice, shredded carrot, chopped peanuts, cilantro leaves, sliced shallot, and lime wedges, for serving
- In a large glass bowl, combine lime zest and juice, ginger, garlic, sugar, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. Slowly whisk in coconut milk until mixture is smooth. Submerge chicken in marinade, cover, and refrigerate for at least 4 and up to 12 hours.
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Cover a rimmed baking sheet with foil and fit with a wire rack. Remove chicken from marinade and shake to remove excess. Arrange in a single layer on rack, skin side up. Roast until an instant-read thermometer registers 165 degrees, 30 to 35 minutes. Serve with suggested accompaniments, if desired.
Serve rice and lots of Thai-inspired fixings, and let everyone make their own perfect plate.