Creamy Chicken and Rice Casserole
This nostalgic dish (it evokes casseroles made with canned soup) transforms rotisserie chicken. Speed things up by using bags of precooked rice (or leftover rice).
Photography: YunHee Kim
Martha Stewart Living, March 2013
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 40 minutes
- Serves 6
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 cups sliced mixed mushrooms (10 ounces)
- 2 shallots, minced
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups shredded chicken, from a small rotisserie chicken
- 2 cups cooked rice (white or brown)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium. Add mushrooms and shallots and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until mushrooms are tender and browned, 10 minutes. Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil and the flour. Stir to combine and cook 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth, whisking constantly, and bring to a boil. Add chicken and rice and return to a simmer. Stir in peas, parsley, and sour cream; season with salt and pepper. Transfer mixture to an 8-inch square baking dish. Top with breadcrumbs.
- Bake until top is golden brown and mixture is warm throughout, 15 to 20 minutes.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.