Rigatoni with Chicken Livers
Martha Stewart Living, March 2013
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Total Time 45 minutes
- Serves 6
- 1 pound rigatoni
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound chicken livers, any sinew removed, patted dry
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced lengthwise (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage leaves
- 2/3 cup dry red wine
- 1 1/2 ounces Parmesan, grated (about 1/2 cup), plus more for serving
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Cook pasta in a large pot of generously salted water until very al dente. Reserve 1 cup of pasta water before draining.
- Season livers with salt and pepper. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Cook livers, flipping once, until plump and golden brown, about 4 minutes; transfer to a cutting board. Reduce heat to medium and melt remaining tablespoon butter. Add onion and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook until golden, about 8 minutes. Chop livers and return to pan, along with any juices and sage. Increase heat to medium-high. Add wine; simmer until liquid is reduced by half.
- Add pasta and 1/2 cup reserved pasta water. Simmer until sauce coats pasta; remove from heat. Toss with Parmesan and parsley. If dry, toss with more pasta water, a bit at a time. Divide among 6 bowls; drizzle with oil and sprinkle with Parmesan.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.