Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes
Photography: Jonathan Lovekin
Martha Stewart Living, March 2013
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup fresh or thawed frozen blueberries
- 2 cups buttermilk (well shaken before measuring)
- 2 large eggs
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- Vegetable oil, for cooking
- Unsalted butter and pure maple syrup, for serving
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and sugar in a large bowl until thoroughly combined. Toss blueberries with 2 tablespoons flour mixture in a medium bowl and set aside. Make a well in the center of remaining flour mixture and add buttermilk, eggs, and lemon zest. Whisk together, gradually incorporating flour mixture, mixing just until combined; some small lumps should remain in the batter. Fold in blueberries. Let batter stand 10 minutes.
- Preheat a double-burner griddle or a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Brush griddle with oil and ladle pi cup batter per pancake onto griddle. When small bubbles appear across surface of pancakes and the edges lift from griddle, flip and continue cooking until pancakes are golden brown on the second side and are springy to the touch, about 3 minutes total. Serve with butter and maple syrup; then continue with the rest of the batter.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.