Mushroom Barley Salad
Martha Stewart Living, March 2013
- Prep Time 40 minutes
- Total Time 40 minutes
- Serves 6
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/4 pounds mixed mushrooms, trimmed and sliced if necessary
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 shallot, minced
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar, divided
- 1/2 cup creme fraiche
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 3 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 small heads Bibb lettuce, separated, leaves quartered if large
- 1 1/2 cups cooked barley (from 1/2 cup uncooked)
- 1/2 cup toasted chopped hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook half the mushrooms with 1/2 teaspoon salt, stirring occasionally, until deep golden, about 5 minutes, and transfer to a bowl. Repeat with 1 tablespoon oil, remaining mushrooms, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook shallot in 1 tablespoon oil over low heat until softened. Add 2 tablespoons vinegar and simmer until reduced by half.
- Remove from heat; whisk in creme fraiche and remaining tablespoon vinegar. Whisk in remaining 5 tablespoons oil until combined. Add chives and thyme, and season with salt and pepper; let cool. Combine lettuce, barley, mushrooms, nuts, and parsley. Add dressing, tossing to coat. Season with salt and pepper.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.