Potato and Leek Egg Bake
Serve with Hearty Pork Sausages.
Photography: Johnny Miller
Martha Stewart Living, March 2013
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour 15 minutes
- Serves 6
- 1 pound small round potatoes
- 10 large eggs
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh chives (from 1 bunch)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large leek (white and pale-green parts only), thinly sliced crosswise and washed well (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees with rack in upper third. Place potatoes in a medium saucepan and cover with 2 inches of water. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are easily pierced with a knife, about 8 minutes. Drain potatoes, let cool, and cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, cream, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and chives until thoroughly combined. Melt butter in an oven-safe 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add leek and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until leek is softened and golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add thyme and cook, stirring gently, 30 seconds.
- Reduce heat to medium. Pour egg mixture into skillet and stir once; cook, undisturbed, until edge is set, about 2 minutes. Scatter potatoes evenly over egg mixture. Transfer skillet to oven. Bake until edge is puffed and golden brown in places and center is set, about 20 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.