Curry-Spiced Veggie Burgers
Curry, lime, and fresh cilantro add delicious flavor to these Indian-inspired veggie cakes.
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 25 minutes
- Yield Serves 2 as main, 4 as appetizer
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- Coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup cooked basmati rice
- 3 tablespoons shredded carrot
- 2 tablespoons dried breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, plus leaves for serving
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Arugula, cucumber, and carrot for serving
- In a small bowl, combine yogurt, curry powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and lime juice. Let sit 15 minutes.
- In a food processor, pulse chickpeas, scallions, and 1/2 teaspoon salt until a chunky paste forms. In a large bowl, stir together chickpea mixture, rice, carrot, breadcrumbs, cilantro, and 2 tablespoons yogurt mixture. Divide into 4 patties. (To freeze, wrap each patty in plastic and freeze, up to 2 weeks. Let thaw before cooking.)
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium. Cook patties until lightly golden and heated through, about 4 minutes per side. Serve topped with remaining yogurt sauce and cilantro leaves.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.