Roasted Carrots and Shallots
Photography: chris court
Martha Stewart Living, February 2013
- Prep Time 25 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour
- Serves 8
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and cut into 3-inch pieces, tops reserved for garnish (optional)
- 8 ounces shallots (about 6), peeled and cut in half lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups safflower oil (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place carrots and shallots on a rimmed baking sheet, and toss with olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Spread in a single layer, and roast 40 minutes, turning a few times to ensure even cooking.
- If frying carrot tops for garnish, bring safflower oil to 350 degrees in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Fry carrot tops in batches until crisp, about 45 seconds. Drain on a paper-towel-lined plate, and season with salt.
- Place vegetables around beef tenderloin; garnish with fried carrot tops.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.