Crepe Pumpkin Costume
Martha Stewart Living, October 1998
- Make a basic cap with a longer stem.
- Cut against the grain, and scallop bottom edge of cap before sewing by holding two fingers on the edge and pushing a pencil eraser between them. Repeat all along edge.
- Make a leaf, and scallop its edges using the same technique.
- Glue green thread-covered wire to the back of leaf for a stem; wrap another piece of wire around a pencil for a vine. Floral-tape these to cap's stem.
- For the skirt, cut ribbon to fit waist, adding 1 inch for adhesive Velcro-dot closures.
- Cut crepe three times as long as the ribbon, using the paper's full height; make a running stitch along both long edges
- Gather one edge to the length of the ribbon, less 1 inch; sew in place. Gather bottom edge slightly, and secure in the back with Velcro.
- Green thread-covered wire
- Floral tape
- Adhesive Velcro dot closures
- Sewing machine
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.