Eggplant and Radicchio Pasta
Everyday Food, December 2012
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 45 minutes
- Serves 4
- 2 medium eggplants, diced large
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 1/2 pound short, spiral pasta such as cavatappi or fusilli
- 1 head radicchio, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup dried currants
- 1/3 cup Kalamata olives, halved and pitted
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan (1 ounce)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a colander, toss eggplant with 2 teaspoons salt. Let stand 30 minutes. Arrange in a single layer on a clean kitchen towel and roll up tightly to extract excess water; transfer to a rimmed baking sheet. Toss with 1 tablespoon oil, and garlic; and season with pepper. Bake until golden and cooked through, 30 to 35 minutes. When cool enough to handle, peel garlic cloves.
- Meanwhile, In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water, drain. Return pasta to pot then add eggplant, peeled garlic cloves, radicchio, currants, olives, remaining 1 tablespoon oil, and enough pasta water to create a light sauce that coats the pasta. Top with Parmesan to serve.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.