Tempura Dipping Sauce
Martha Stewart's Cooking School, Episode 112
Yield Makes about 2 1/4 cups
For the dashi
- 3 strips (about 6 inches each) kombu, wiped with a dry cloth
- 2 cups bonito flakes
For the dipping sauce
- 1 cup dashi
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons mirin
- 4 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated daikon
- Make dashi: Combine kombu and 6 cups cold water in a medium saucepan and bring to just under a boil; remove from heat. Using tongs, remove kombu; discard. Sprinkle bonito flakes into the pan and let steep until they sink to the bottom, about 3 minutes. Strain liquid through a fine sieve. Dashi can be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 4 days.
- Make dipping sauce: mix together dashi, soy sauce, mirin, lemon juice, ginger, and daikon in a bowl to combine.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.