Poached Salmon Steaks
Martha Stewart's Cooking School, Episode 111
For Court Bouillon
- 3 quarts water
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 leek, sliced crosswise 1/4-inch thick, white and light green part only
- 1 medium rib celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
For Poached Salmon Steaks
- 4 salmon steaks (at least 1-inch thick)
- Coarse salt
- Fresh dill, for garnish (optional)
- Prepare Court Bouillon: In a large saucepan, combine water, carrots, leek, celery, lemon, bay leaves, thyme, and peppercorns. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer 30 minutes, depending on desired intensity of flavor.
- Prepare Salmon: Fill a medium straight-sided skillet with simmering court bouillon. Reserve remaining court bouillon for another use. Season salmon steaks on both sides with coarse salt. Carefully lower into the skillet. Return liquid to just under a simmer. Cook until the fish is opaque throughout and firm to the touch, 5 to 8 minutes. Use a slotted fish spatula to transfer salmon steaks to plates. If desired, remove skin using the tines of a fork.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.