Martha Stewart Living, January 2013
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Total Time 4 hours
Yield Makes 2 1/2 cups
- 1 English cucumber, thinly sliced (preferably on a mandoline; about 4 cups)
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup white-wine vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 allspice berries
- Place cucumbers in a colander. Toss with salt, and let stand 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine water, vinegar, sugar, bay leaf, and allspice berries in a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, and let cool.
- Rinse salt off cucumbers, and squeeze out as much moisture as possible with your hands. Transfer cucumbers to a nonreactive container with a tight-fitting lid, and pour pickling liquid over them. Cover, and refrigerate at least 3 hours before serving.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.