Glogg is essentially a warmed punch made with an infused distilled spirit such as vodka or aquavit as well as fortified wine -- that is, wine that's had extra alcohol added. The infusion needs to steep for a week, so factor that into any party plans.
Martha Stewart Living, January 2013
- Prep Time 25 minutes
- Total Time 1 week 25 minutes (including infusing vodka)
- Serves 10
- 4 ounces vodka
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 25 ounces dry red wine
- 12 ounces vodka
- 4 whole cloves
- Raisins, sliced almonds, and cinnamon sticks, for garnish
- Infused vodka: Combine vodka and spices in a nonreactive bowl, and stir until mixed thoroughly. Cover with plastic wrap, and let steep in a cool, dark place 7 days. Pour mixture through a fine sieve, and discard solids.
- Fortified wine: Bring water and sugar to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until sugar dissolves, 2 to 3 minutes. Let sugar syrup cool completely before using.
- Combine infused vodka, wine, vodka, and sugar syrup in a large pot, and heat slowly over very low heat (do not let boil). Add cloves, and ladle into mugs. Add raisins, almonds, and a cinnamon stick to each mug, and serve.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.