Sausages with Acorn Squash and Onions
Photography: Johnny Miller
Everyday Food, December 2012
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 30 minutes
- Serves 4
- 1 large acorn squash, halved, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 red onion, cut into 1/4-inch wedges
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 4 hot or sweet Italian sausages (3/4 pound total)
- 1/2 cup grated aged Asiago cheese (2 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage leaves
- 1/4 cup dried cherries, chopped
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss squash and onion with oil and arrange in an even layer; season with salt and pepper. Add sausages to sheet. Roast until vegetables are just tender, 15 to 18 minutes. Heat broiler. Sprinkle Asiago and sage over vegetables and broil until cheese is browned and bubbling and sausages are cooked through, 3 minutes. Sprinkle with cherries to serve.
The sweetness of squash and dried cherries is the perfect counterpoint to savory sausages. Slice the squash crosswise for the pretty petal shapes (and you can eat the skin).
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.