Pork-and-Greens Skillet Pie
If you happen to have a lemon in the fridge, cut it into wedges to garnish each plate -- a squeeze of the citrus brightens the flavor of this homey dish.
Photography: Johnny Miller
Everyday Food, December 2012
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 45 minutes
- Serves 4
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced medium
- 1 large bunch Swiss chard, trimmed, stems and leaves separated and roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons fine cornmeal, divided
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan (3 ounces), divided
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a cast-iron skillet, cook pork over medium, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 7 minutes. Add onion and Swiss chard stems, increase heat to medium-high, and saute until translucent, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in Swiss chard leaves and cook until wilted, 2 minutes. Stir in 2 tablespoons cornmeal, 1/4 cup Parmesan, and 1 1/2 cups water and bring to a rapid simmer. Cook until liquid thickens, stirring occasionally, about 14 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- In a small saucepan, bring 2 cups water to a boil. Whisk in remaining 3/4 cup cornmeal and cook, whisking constantly, until mixture thickens, about 2 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup Parmesan, season with salt and pepper, and spoon over pork and greens. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan, transfer to oven, and bake 20 minutes. Heat broiler and broil until top is golden brown and mixture is bubbling at edge, 2 minutes.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.