Chicken with White Beans and Rosemary
Buying a whole chicken and cutting it up yourself is a great way to shave a little off your grocery bill. For step-by-step instructions, go to marthastewart.com/cut-up-chicken.
Everyday Food, December 2012
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 45 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 1 whole chicken (31/2 to 4 pounds), cut into 10 pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 cans (15.5 ounces each) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 sprig rosemary
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Pat chicken dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. In a large heavy pot, place chicken skin side down and cook over medium until pieces release easily from pot and are browned, about 10 minutes. Flip and cook until browned, 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add onion to pot and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring, until fragrant and dark red, about 4 minutes. Stir in 2 cups water, beans, and rosemary; season with salt and pepper. Bring to a rapid simmer. Return chicken to pot, skin side up. Transfer to oven and bake until chicken is cooked through and liquid is slightly reduced, about 20 minutes.
Cooking everything together allows the flavors to meld beautifully -- and makes cleanup easier.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.