You can make the mushroom filling a day in advance and refrigerate it until ready to use.
Everyday Food, December 2012
- Prep Time 25 minutes
- Total Time 55 minutes
Yield Makes 24
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, plus 1/2 stick melted
- 2 shallots, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 10 cups chopped cremini or button mushrooms (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup crumbled fresh goat cheese (4 ounces)
- 8 sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large nonstick skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium. Add shallots, garlic, and thyme and cook, stirring, until shallots are translucent, 4 minutes. Add mushrooms and season with salt and pepper; cook until mushrooms are tender and any liquid has evaporated, 20 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes, then stir in goat cheese.
- Lay 1 sheet phyllo on a work surface and lightly brush with melted butter. (Keep extra phyllo covered while you work.) Stack 3 more sheets on top, brushing each with butter. Cut stack into 12 squares. Repeat with remaining 4 sheets and more butter to make 24 squares total.
- Top each square with 1 tablespoon mushroom mixture. Gather and pinch phyllo around mushroom mixture to form purses with ruffled tops. Bake on a parchment-lined baking sheet until golden brown, about 12 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.