Photography: Johnny Miller
Everyday Food, December 2012
- Prep Time 35 minutes
- Total Time 3 3/4 hours + cooling
Yield Makes about 2 1/2 dozen
- 2 sticks cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2/3 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for work surface
- 1 cup dried apricots
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- In a food processor, process butter, cream cheese, 3 tablespoons sugar, and salt until combined. Add flour and pulse until a dough forms. Divide in half, flatten into disks, and tightly wrap in plastic. Refrigerate until firm, 2 hours (or overnight).
- In a small pot, bring apricots, brandy, cinnamon, and 1/2 cup water to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until most of liquid is absorbed, 7 minutes. Transfer to clean food processor. Pulse until finely chopped. Stir in walnuts and remaining 2/3 cup sugar.
- Working with 1 disk at a time, on a floured surface, roll out dough into a 12-inch circle. Spread with half the filling, leaving a 1-inch border. Cut into 16 wedges. Starting from outside edge, tightly roll each wedge up; place on parchment-lined baking sheets, seam side down. Lightly brush with egg. Freeze 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees, with racks in upper and lower thirds. Bake until golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes, rotating halfway through. Transfer to wire racks; let cool completely.
Store in airtight containers, up to 1 week.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.