Pistachio-Shortbread Sandwich Cookies
Use strawberry jam, not preserves, for this recipe. The smooth texture makes neat sandwiches.
Photography: Johnny Miller
Everyday Food, December 2012
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour + cooling
Yield Makes about 2 1/2 dozen
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pistachios
- 1/3 cup strawberry jam
- In a food processor, process butter, confectioners' sugar, and salt until smooth. Add flour and pulse until a dough forms. Stir in pistachios. Shape dough into two 8-inchlong logs, tightly wrap in plastic, and freeze until firm, 30 minutes (or up to 1 month).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, with racks in upper and lower thirds. Cut dough into 1/4-inch slices and transfer to parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake until cookies are set and barely golden at edges, 10 to 15 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Let cool completely on sheets on wire racks.
- Spread 1/2 teaspoon jam on bottoms of half the cookies, then sandwich with remaining cookies.
Store in airtight containers, up to 1 week.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.