It's a good idea to help kids get the ingredients prepped -- toast the nuts and melt the chocolate. But they can create the critters on their own.
Everyday Food, December 2012
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour
- Yield Makes 12
- 48 roasted salted cashews
- 12 hazelnuts, toasted and loose skins rubbed off
- 12 soft caramels
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 12 pecans halves, toasted
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. On a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet, make 12 clusters by arranging 4 cashews and 1 hazelnut (the cashews will be the tortoises' legs, and the hazelnuts, the heads). With your fingers, gently flatten caramels and place one on top of each cluster.
- Bake until caramels just begin to melt, 6 to 8 minutes. Meanwhile, microwave chocolate in 10-second increments until melted. Dollop 1 teaspoon chocolate onto each caramel and top with a pecan. Refrigerate until chocolate sets, about 30 minutes (or up to 2 days). Bring to room temperature before serving.
Have fun making these cute chocolate tortoises. Give them as gifts or put them on a party platter -- unlike their namesakes, they'll go fast!
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.