Winter Fruit Salad with Basil Syrup
Martha Stewart Living, December 2012
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 40 minutes
- Yield Serves 8
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 10 whole black peppercorns, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 white grapefruits, peel and pith removed
- 1 small pineapple, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/3-by-2-inch batons (4 cups)
- 4 kiwifruits, peeled and cut into wedges
- Bring basil, sugar, peppercorns, salt, and water to a boil in a small saucepan, stirring to dissolve sugar; boil 1 minute. Remove from heat, and let cool. Pour syrup through a fine sieve into a bowl; discard solids.
- Working over a bowl, cut segments of grapefruits free of membranes. Combine pineapple, kiwifruit, and grapefruit in a large bowl; pour syrup and accumulated juices over fruit, and gently toss. Let stand at room temperature, stirring occasionally, at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours, before serving. Fruit can be combined 1 day ahead and refrigerated. Thirty minutes before serving, remove from refrigerator, and toss with syrup.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.