Martha Stewart Living, December 2012
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 3 hours
- Serves 8
Yield Makes one 8-inch cake
- 1/3 cup warm whole milk
- 2 1/4 teaspoons (one 1/4-ounce envelope) active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus more for bowl
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons water
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dough: Pour milk into a small bowl. Sprinkle yeast evenly over milk, and let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes. Stir in sugar, butter, egg, orange zest, and salt. Stir in flour (dough will be very soft and wet). Place dough in a buttered bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch down dough, and press into the bottom of an 8-inch round plain or fluted cake pan, making edge slightly higher than center. Cover, and let rise until puffed, about 45 minutes.
- Filling: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk together all filling ingredients until smooth. Press down center of risen dough, then pour in filling. Bake until golden brown around edge (filling will still be wobbly but will continue to set as it cools), about 30 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature straight from the pan.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.