Sugar-Dusted Macaroon Trees
Round up the kids for a simple baking project. From mixing to sprinkling, this forest of snow-covered trees is almost as fun to make as it is to eat. Almost.This classic cookie takes on the shape of a snow-dusted evergreen.
Martha Stewart Living, December 2012
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 40 minutes
- Yield Makes 18
- 2 1/2 cups finely shredded unsweetened coconut
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 5 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Thoroughly combine coconut, granulated sugar, egg whites, vanilla, and salt in a large bowl using your hands or a wooden spoon. Form 2 tablespoons of the mixture at a time into 2-inch-tall trees with your hands, using your fingertips to make pointed tops. Transfer each tree to a parchment-lined baking sheet, spacing them 1 inch apart.
- Bake until edges are golden and trees are firm, 12 to 14 minutes. Let cool on baking sheet on a wire rack at least 15 minutes. Cookies can be made up to 1 day ahead; dust with confectioners' sugar just before serving.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.