- 1 quart 2 percent milk
- 3 tablespoons plain low-fat yogurt
- Place milk in a large saucepan over medium-high heat; cook until it reaches 180 degrees, stirring occasionally to prevent scorching, 5 to 7 minutes. Let cool to 115 degrees.
- Whisk together 1 cup milk and the yogurt. Stir into remaining milk.
- Transfer to a 1-quart mason jar. Wrap jar (without lid) in 2 clean kitchen towels, completely covering sides and top. Let stand undisturbed in a warm place until yogurt has the consistency of custard, 4 to 5 hours.
- Refrigerate uncovered jar; when it's cool to the touch, about 30 minutes, screw on a tight-fitting lid.
Keep It Cozy
Wrapping the mixture in towels helps maintain a consistent temperature.
The longer incubation time in the range given in step 3 produces a slightly thicker, tangier result.