Fennel-Crusted Lamb on Toast
Martha Stewart Living, December 2012
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 25 minutes
Yield Makes 36
- 1 loaf brioche, crust trimmed, sliced into 2-inch squares (1/4 inch thick)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds, toasted and ground
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound boneless leg of lamb, trimmed of excess fat, pounded 1 inch thick, and cut lengthwise into 1-inch-wide planks
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, plus lemon zest, for garnish
- 36 fresh mint leaves (from 1 bunch)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place brioche squares on a baking sheet, and brush with butter. Bake until golden and crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Combine fennel seeds and 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Reserve 1/2 teaspoon of spice blend, and sprinkle the rest all over the lamb; let stand 10 minutes.
- Preheat a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil, swirl once to coat bottom of pan, and add lamb pieces, at least 1 inch apart. Cook, turning, until browned on all 4 sides, about 4 minutes total. Transfer to a cutting board, let rest 10 minutes, and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- Whisk together yogurt, remaining oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and the lemon juice. Top each toast with 1 mint leaf, 1 lamb slice, 1/4 teaspoon yogurt, zest, and reserved spice blend.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.