Queso Fundido with Chorizo
We recommend D'Artagnan Spanish-style chorizo for this recipe. Made from heritage pork, it has great flavor and is widely available (dartagnan.com).
Martha Stewart Living, December 2012
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 20 minutes
Yield Makes 3 cups
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound Spanish (cured) chorizo, sliced on the bias 3/8 inch thick
- 1 cup diced sweet onion, such as Vidalia
- 1 can (4 ounces) diced green chiles
- Coarse salt
- 1/3 cup gold tequila
- 1 pound Monterey Jack cheese, grated (4 cups)
- 16 ounces tortilla chips, for serving
- Heat oil in a large, heavy skillet (preferably cast-iron) over medium heat. Working in batches, add chorizo and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned in places, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer chorizo to a serving dish.
- Add onion, chiles, and 1 teaspoon salt to skillet, and raise heat to medium-high. Saute, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add tequila, bring to a boil, and cook until tequila is mostly absorbed by vegetables, about 30 seconds.
- Reduce heat to low, gradually stir in cheese, and cook, stirring constantly, just until cheese is melted, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a fondue pot, and serve with chips and chorizo.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.