Photography: Linda Pugliese
Martha Stewart Living, December 2012
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons coarse salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened, plus more for pan
- 3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 cup toasted sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped toasted pecans
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Sift together flour and salt into a medium bowl. Beat butter with a mixer on medium-high speed until fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes, scraping down sides of bowl with a rubber spatula as needed. Add sugar gradually, beating between additions; continue to beat until mixture is very pale, about 2 minutes total. Reduce speed to low, and add flour mixture; beat until just combined.
- Mix in coconut and pecans. Press dough evenly into a buttered 10-inch springform pan; refrigerate until firm, about 20 minutes. Cut dough into 8 wedges. Evenly pierce all over with a skewer.
- Bake until shortbread is firm in center and golden brown, about 1 hour 10 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack; immediately recut wedges with a paring knife. Let cool completely in pan.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.