Mixed Nut and Thyme Caramel Candies
For this recipe, you will need an accurate candy thermometer. You'll also need to cut three-inch square pieces of waxed paper or cellophane in which to wrap the caramels.
Photography: Christopher Testani
Martha Stewart Living, December 2012
- Prep Time 25 minutes
- Total Time 8 hours 30 minutes
Yield Makes approximately 120
- Vegetable oil, for baking sheet
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 1/4 cups light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups mixed salted roasted nuts
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- Lightly brush bottom and sides of a 9-by-13-inch rimmed baking sheet with oil. Line with parchment, leaving a 2-inch overhang on long sides; lightly brush parchment with oil.
- Bring cream, sugar, butter, and corn syrup to a boil in a large saucepan over high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Reduce heat to medium-high; cook, stirring occasionally, until caramel reaches 248 degrees on a candy thermometer, about 15 minutes.
- Immediately remove caramel from heat, and stir in salt, vanilla, nuts and thyme. Pour caramel onto baking sheet, and let stand, uncovered, at room temperature at least 8 hours and up to 1 day.
- Lifting by parchment overhang, transfer caramel to a large cutting board. Cut into 3/4-by-1 1/4-inch pieces; wrap each piece in waxed paper or cellophane.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.