- Coarse salt and pepper
- 6 ounces small pasta shells
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest plus 4 teaspoons juice
- 1/2 cup marinated artichokes, plus 2 tablespoons marinade
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan
- 2 cups torn escarole
- In a medium pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water, then drain.
- Meanwhile, chop garlic. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and drag the blade of a large knife at an angle across mixture until a paste forms. Add garlic paste to a small bowl, along with mayonnaise, mustard, lemon zest and juice, and artichoke marinade; whisk to combine and season with salt and pepper.
- Return pasta to pot, add artichokes and dressing, and toss, adding enough pasta water to create a light sauce that coats pasta; stir in Parmesan and season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until chilled, 1 hour (or overnight); toss with escarole to serve.
Tote escarole separately or layer it on top of pasta to prevent sogginess.