- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless lamb stew meat
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 two-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup dried apricots
- Toasted sliced almonds, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large heavy pot, heat oil over medium-high. Season lamb with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 9 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer lamb to a plate. Add onion and garlic and cook until onion is softened, 5 minutes. Return lamb to pot, along with tomatoes, ginger, cinnamon, and 2 cups water; season with salt and pepper. Cover and transfer to oven; cook 45 minutes. Stir in apricots, cover, and cook until lamb is tender, 45 minutes more. Serve stew sprinkled with almonds.
Not a fan of lamb? This stew is just as tasty with beef or skinless chicken thighs.