Braised Chicken and Brussels Sprouts
Everyday Food, November 2012
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 45 minutes
- Serves 4
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 whole chicken (3 1/2 to 4 pounds), cut into 10 pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 2 medium shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large ovenproof skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Season chicken with salt and pepper. In batches, cook chicken until browned, about 6 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate, then add brussels sprouts and shallots to pan. Saute until golden brown, 3 minutes. Stir in mustard and cook 1 minute. Add vinegar and broth, return chicken to pan, and bring to a rapid simmer.
- Transfer pan to oven and braise until chicken is cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes. Add cream to pan and swirl to combine; season with salt and pepper.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.