- 8 medium Yukon Gold potatoes (about 2 pounds)
- 6 shallots, thinly sliced crosswise
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, room temperature, divided
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh sage leaves
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Make deep cuts into each potato, 1/4 inch apart, without completely cutting through. Place shallots in each cut (using about half the shallots) and season with salt and pepper. Arrange potatoes, cut sides down, in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish; dot with 2 tablespoons butter. Scatter remaining shallots around potatoes.
- Tightly cover dish with foil and bake until potatoes are tender, about 40 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Uncover and bake 15 minutes. Meanwhile, combine sage and remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Increase oven temperature to 450 degrees. Top potatoes with sage butter; scoop up loose shallots and divide among potatoes, then bake until golden and crisp, 10 to 15 minutes more.
Although impressive-looking, these potatoes couldn't be simpler. The finishing touch? A coating of sage butter.