For the best results, use butter instead of oil when frying eggs; butter has emulsifiers that prevent eggs from sticking to the pan. This recipe is adapted from the "Martha Stewart's Cooking School" cookbook.
Martha Stewart's Cooking School, Episode 101
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 sliced cooked bacon, for serving (optional)
- Toast, for serving (optional)
- Heat an 8-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat; add butter. When butter begins to sizzle, crack an egg into pan. Cover, and cook until white is light golden underneath, 2 to 3 minutes. For "over easy," flip egg with spatula and cook for 30 seconds. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately with bacon and toast, if desired.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.