Sweet-and-Spicy BLT Club
Photography: Romulo Yanes
Everyday Food, October 2012
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 30 minutes
Yield Makes 4
- 12 slices bacon (about 11 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons packed dark-brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, divided
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 5 pickled jalapeno slices, chopped
- 12 slices white sandwich bread
- 8 leaves butter lettuce, such as Boston or Bibb
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees, with racks in upper and middle thirds. On a rimmed baking sheet, arrange bacon in a single layer and sprinkle with brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cayenne. On another rimmed baking sheet, toss tomatoes with oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast bacon on upper rack until crisp and tomatoes on middle rack until softened, about 15 minutes. Drain bacon on paper towels. Combine mayonnaise, jalapeno, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon cayenne and spread on bread. Assemble sandwiches with bread, bacon, tomatoes, and lettuce.
Roasting the tomatoes gives them a deep sweetness that holds its own with layers of smoke and spice.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.