Buttered Toast and Jam Pudding
This homey dessert will work with any chunky fruit jam, so try it with your favorite.
Everyday Food, October 2012
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 1 1/2 hour + cooling
- Yield Serves 8
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
- 8 slices country white bread
- 3/4 cup strawberry jam
- 4 large eggs, plus 1 large yolk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 3/4 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Butter bread on one side and arrange in a single layer, buttered side up, on baking sheets. Bake until deep golden, 7 to 10 minutes. Meanwhile, butter a 4-by-8-inch loaf pan and spread jam in an even layer on bottom.
- Reduce oven to 350 degrees. Cut toast in half and arrange, cut sides up, in pan. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, egg yolk, and sugar.
- In a small saucepan, combine milk, cream, vanilla, and salt and heat over medium until just warm; whisk into egg mixture. Slowly pour over toast (being careful not to disturb jam layer); let sit 30 minutes. Bake until toast is deep golden brown and custard is set in middle, 1 hour. (Loosely tent with foil if overbrowning.) Let cool completely on a wire rack, 1 hour. Run a knife around edges before inverting onto a platter.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.