Plum Tarte Tatin
The number of plums you will need may vary slightly depending upon size.
Photography: Romulo Yanes
Everyday Food, October 2012
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour 20 minutes
- Serves 8
- All-purpose flour, for work surface
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 2 pounds ripe black plums (about 9), halved and pitted
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. On a lightly floured surface, roll out puff pastry into an 18-inch square. Trim into a 13-inch circle and cut a small X in center to vent. Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet and freeze 20 minutes.
- In a 12-inch cast-iron skillet, melt butter over medium-high. Remove from heat. Sprinkle with sugar and salt; place plums, cut side down, in a single, snug layer.
- Return to heat, bring to a rapid simmer, and cook, undisturbed, 7 minutes. Remove from heat and top with pastry. Bake until crust is deep golden brown and juices are thickened, about 35 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack, 10 minutes, then invert onto a platter. Serve warm.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.