Blueberry-Flax Buttermilk Pancakes
Photography: Romulo Yanes
Everyday Food, October 2012
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Total Time 30 minutes
- Serves 4
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted, plus more for skillet and serving
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Maple syrup, for serving
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, flaxseed, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add buttermilk, egg, and butter and whisk until just moistened (batter should have some lumps; do not overmix). Fold in blueberries.
- Lightly coat a large nonstick skillet or griddle with butter and heat over medium-high. In batches, drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls into skillet. Cook until bubbles appear on top and a few have burst, 2 to 5 minutes. Flip pancakes and cook until golden brown, 2 to 5 minutes. Repeat with more butter and remaining batter (makes about 12), wiping skillet clean between batches and lowering heat if necessary. Serve with butter and syrup.
Freeze cooled pancakes in an airtight container, up to 1 month.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.