Beans on Toast with Crisp Bacon and Eggs
Martha Stewart Living, November 2012
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 20 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 slices thick-cut bacon, cut in 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed into large pieces
- 8 fresh sage leaves, coarsely chopped
- 4 slices rustic bread
- 2 1/2 cups <a href="http://www.marthastewart.com/938686/whats-dinner-beans">cooked beans</a>, plus 1/2 cup cooking liquid</a>
- Pinch of red-pepper flakes, plus more if desired
- 4 large eggs
- Heat a large saute pan over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil, the bacon, and garlic, and cook until bacon is almost crisp. Add sage, and cook just until bacon is crisp and garlic is golden (if sage and garlic begin to brown, remove them before the bacon). Transfer to a plate with a slotted spoon; reserve fat in pan. Fry bread slices in fat, adding a splash of oil if pan seems dry, until golden brown on both sides, about 5 minutes total. Transfer bread to a plate.
- Heat beans and their liquid in same pot until simmering. Stir in 2 teaspoons oil and the redpepper flakes. Meanwhile, fry eggs in oil in a separate pan.
- Place 1 piece toast on each of 4 plates, and spoon beans over toast. Place 1 egg on each, and top with bacon, garlic, and sage. Drizzle with oil, and sprinkle with more red-pepper flakes.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.