- 21 pearl onions
- 12 ounces fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/4 cup red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Cook onions 2 minutes, then transfer to a bowl of ice water. Drain. Peel onions, and cut in half. Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Cover, and cook over medium-low heat until cranberries burst and onions are tender, about 40 minutes.
Relish can be refrigerated 2 days. Serve warm, cold, or at room temperature.