Roasted Delicata Squashes and Lady Apples
In combination with brown sugar, slab bacon, an early-American mainstay, forms a sweet-salty-sticky glaze on roasted delicata squashes and lady apples.
Martha Stewart Living, November 2012
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour 5 minutes
- Serves 8
- 2 delicata squashes (1 1/2 pounds total), cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices, seeds removed
- 10 lady apples (1 1/2 pounds), cut in half
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons light-brown sugar
- 6 ounces slab bacon, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices, then cut crosswise into lardons (1/2 inch wide)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss together squashes, apples, oil, sugar, bacon, and 1/2 teaspoon salt; season with pepper. Spread on a rimmed baking sheet, and roast until golden on bottom, about 50 minutes. Flip squashes and apples over, and roast until tender, about 5 minutes more. Sprinkle thyme over mixture, and serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.