- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes (about 4), peeled and cut into chunks
- 3/4 pound turnips (2 small), peeled and cut into chunks
- 1/2 pound parsnips (about 4), peeled and cut into chunks
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter
- 1 pound leeks, trimmed, sliced 1/4 inch thick, and rinsed well (2 cups)
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Place potatoes, turnips, and parsnips in a large pot; cover with 2 inches cold water. Season water generously with salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, and vigorously simmer until root vegetables are very tender and breaking apart, about 30 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium Dutch oven over medium heat. Add leeks, and cook until golden, about 15 minutes. Add root vegetables, and stir to dry out, about 2 minutes. Add milk and cream, and stir to break up vegetables. Heat until hot; season with salt and pepper.
Vegetables can be refrigerated 1 day. When reheating, add more milk to reach the desired creamy consistency.